Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Optimus Maximus keyboard

Optimus Maximus keyboard



Wildly Expensive. Amazingly Functional. The future of keyboard evolution. The Optimius Maximus keyboard has a very appropriate name. It's a work of art, but, just like great art, you pay a high price. This keyboard weighs in a about $1500. What's so different about it that makes it work $1500? Every key on this keyboard is a small OLED screen. You can change the keys display. Say you want to type in chinese. No problem. A new keyboard layout? sure.

Many people have seen and used keyboards on touch screens. You may have even seen the infrared keyboard projector for a palm or handheld device. But this is different. For me, it's all about tactile feedback. I want a button that depresses so that I can tell I have actually activated the key. Software keys just don't offer the kind of touch feedback I need.

Perhaps not now, but someday in the future, I can definitely see more and more new and innovative interface products. Because, the reality is, not everything can be done with voice commands, somethings are just meant for the keyboard.

No comments: